Medicare and Medicaid Assistance
The Michigan Medicare Medicaid Assistance Program receives funding and support from the federal government through the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services and the Administration on Aging as well as the Michigan Department of Community Health and the Michigan Office of Services to the Aging.
Through the Medicare Medicaid Assistance Program the Area Agency on Aging 1-B has trained staff and volunteer counselors available to address questions on health care benefits including:
- Medicare Part A & B
- Medicare Prescription Drug Plans (Part D)
- Medicare supplemental insurance, also called Medigap
- Long term care insurance
- Medicare Advantage options
- Medicare or Medicaid fraud and abuse
- Other issues of importance to people in Medicare, their families and caregivers
There is no charge for this program. To contact a counselor please call 1-800-803-7174.
Medicare Part D & Medicare Advantage Plans
Between October 15 and December 7 each year, Medicare beneficiaries can change or join a Medicare Part D plan or a Medicare Advantage Plan. To assist beneficiaries the Area Agency on Aging 1-B is holding Medicare Prescription Drug Assistance Days in partnership with several community organizations. Beneficiaries can make appointments with a MMAP counselor who will review plans, compare options and help with joining a Medicare Part D plan. Click to view a complete list of the Area Agency on Aging 1-B Medicare Part D Assistance Day.
Help With Costs
Medicare Part D Extra Help Program
The Medicare Part D Extra Help program can greatly reduce your prescription drug costs. It’s available to people with limited income and resources and helps reduce monthly premiums and annual deductibles for Medicare Part D prescription plans.
Medicare Savings Plan
The Medicare Savings Program can reduce or eliminate monthly premiums for your Medicare Part B plan. You may qualify for help to pay your Medicare Part B expenses if you are elderly or disabled with low income and limited assets.
- An overview of what assets a spouse can legally retain when their spouse is receiving Medicaid long term care.
- This document provides answers to many of the questions frequently asked about the Medicare Prescription Drug Benefit.
- A list of points to keep in mind as you shop for long term care in Michigan.